Date Night at Paint Nite

Last year, I had my first paint & drink experience for Erin‘s birthday. It was totes fun. For Christmas, I decided to get the hubs “experiences” so we could spend time together. One of those was a date at Paint Nite. I picked “Chicago Starry Night” because … it was pretty. We attended the class last Wednesday.

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 9.55.40 PM

The painting we’d be copying

If you’ve never done one of these types of events (and there are tons of options around Chicago – try one!), they break it down for you so anyone can be an artiste.

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 9.57.55 PM

Serious painters are serious. (Source.)

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 9.58.13 PM

(Source.)

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 9.59.32 PM

Start with the background – sky and water

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 9.59.53 PM

Outline the buildings and fill them in

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 10.01.12 PM

Creepin’ on everyone else. This guy drew a moon with the Batman symbol on it. Genius.

Screen shot 2014-01-09 at 10.00.53 PM

FIN

Overall it was a fun event and now we have some adorable art to hang in our apartment. I scored a LivingSocial deal for these, I think it was $20/person.

• 13 January, 2014 - 9:22 am | Permalink

Ooh that looks like fun! And kudos for getting your hubs to go. L won’t join me yet for a painting class. :( I love your paining! Definitely needs to be hung up!!! :)

• 13 January, 2014 - 9:39 am | Permalink

They’re already up in the hallway! Side-by-side :)

• 13 January, 2014 - 9:32 am | Permalink

Wow- those are gorgeous! I would totally pick the class based on the artwork that was being made- love this one! I would love to try one of these, looks like a blast!

• 13 January, 2014 - 9:40 am | Permalink

These classes are lots of fun! I highly recommend doing it sometime!! Plus painting is kind of relaxing. I kind of want to just buy some paint and canvas and just paint at home … I’m sure that end result would be lovely. And messy.

• 13 January, 2014 - 11:32 am | Permalink

I was surprised to see you were doing this at the Crown – didn’t realize they had so many of these classes all over the city! I’d love to take one of these classes, especially if a deal comes around :)

• 13 January, 2014 - 12:26 pm | Permalink

I love it! I really need to do a date night like this. Pretty sure Derek wouldn’t mind, he’s up for mostly anything!

• 13 January, 2014 - 1:42 pm | Permalink

Oooh, I want this painting in my house, too!! I love that there are so many options and I love that Rob was willing to do this with you. Not sure I could get Jason to try it…

• 13 January, 2014 - 5:32 pm | Permalink

I’d love to do one of those! My friend did one a few weeks ago that was the Blackhawks Stanley Cup, and I was SO JEALOUS.

• 19 January, 2014 - 12:36 pm | Permalink

I did something similar with my friends from book club. We had a blast! Of course it helped that we were drinking wine too. :-) Nice job with your painting. Mine was not so good but I still had a good time.

• Pingback: January in Review » MagMileRunner