First World Problems: Signs I’m Getting Older

One of my co-workers thought I was younger than I am. I wasn’t sure if I should be flattered or worried. Sure, looking younger is great. But does that also mean I act younger? Does that mean I’m immature? Not really, if I was thought to be 26 or 28. Those are respectable ages. So … I’m old enough that being thought younger is now totally flattering

Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.13.44 PM Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.11.33 PM

Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.13.21 PM Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.18.52 PM Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.18.58 PM

Well, you’re only as old as you feel, and I do feel about 26 most days.

I’m no Emma Stone. A fellow ginger friend and I were sharing our “celebrity look-alikes” (based on what others have told us). I recently got told that I look like Nicole Kidman, which is something I used to hear a lot when I was waiting tables (and didn’t have bangs, and always had my hair pulled back). In 2002, when Nicole was 34, that didn’t bother me. But now she’s 46. Does that mean I look 46? (Or 26??? So conufsed right now.) Why am I not being compared to a ginger closer to my actual age, specifically, 25-year-old Emma Stone? Let’s just pretend the people doing the comparing don’t know who Emma Stone is, so this says more about their age … right??

Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.05.25 PM  Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.09.19 PM Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 8.05.07 PM

Scratch that, they’re both hot. Keep the comparisons coming.

I relate to the parents more than the kids on My So-Called Life. MS-CL was my show when I was a tween/teen. But when I watch it now, I’m all “These damn flighty teenagers!! Don’t be so mean to your mom!” Also … my Angsty TV Show of my Youth is now 20 years old. Damn.

However, despite my actual age (31), I refuse to give into the whole “I’m in my 30s, I like to go to bed early and stay in on the weekends and I’m too tired to go dancing.” No, thank you.

• 29 January, 2014 - 6:21 am | Permalink

I saw Nicole Kidman on the street in NYC, granted it was about 12 years ago, but she is beautiful, I think she still is. Take it as a compliment, it is much better than what people used to tell me.

• 29 January, 2014 - 7:33 am | Permalink

A lot of people think I’m younger than I really am too. I do look a little younger now than when I was actually in my late-20’s, so I can see that. I actually have to answer “how old do you feel?” for a form that’s due this week, and I have no clue how to respond. I guess I’ve felt more or less the same the past several years.

I do like to go to bed early, but I still go out, so win-win?

• Paula
    29 January, 2014 - 9:05 am | Permalink

Love the first picture. ;)
    I don’t look or act like I’m about to be 34. And I’m fine with that. Who cares what age we are or what age people think we are. I’m just here for an undetermined amount of time. I’m going to live it up and try to enjoy as much as I can.
    I’m also still up for dancing. Once I’m done creating life. ;)

• 29 January, 2014 - 2:08 pm | Permalink

Some of my friends thought I was older than I was. When I was slightly offended, they were just like “well you act older.” Um, what does that mean? Maybe bc I am one of those lame people that goes to sleep by 10pm on a Friday? (Let’s be honest, I could go to sleep at 9pm on a Friday.) Meh, it is the life of a new mom, I guess! Although, the hubs and I have our first DATE NIGHT planned and I’m SUPER excited about it!!

• 29 January, 2014 - 2:43 pm | Permalink

Well, I guess when I usually sleep in until 8-9am (or so) on the weekends, it’s easier to stay up late. But tell me more about your date night!!!

• 29 January, 2014 - 10:44 pm | Permalink

I’m an old soul, always have been, always will. Plus with my Ging five years older than me and most of his friends 3-5 years older than him, it ages me. Oh well. I’m cool with it.

• 3 February, 2014 - 1:34 pm | Permalink

These days I feel like the whole world is a reminder that I’m getting older. I’m one of those people who doesn’t really act my age (but then, there are so many of us that I have to wonder what that even means anymore) and I still look younger than my age, but…biology is catching up. I see the wrinkles under my eyes and I linger longer and longer in front of the anti-aging creams at Target. And then I see photos of Frances Bean Cobain smoking a cigarette in black lingerie and I realize the anti-aging creams aren’t going to do shit for me, because getting older is going to happen no matter what so I might as well enjoy it instead of fighting it.

And yeah, I was in bed by 9 p.m. on Friday and I loved it. That tells you pretty much everything right there, doesn’t it.

• 6 February, 2014 - 12:11 am | Permalink

Somehow I keep forgetting that I’m older. Then every 8-12 weeks I happen to look in the mirror and see my horrendous grey roots.