Training, June 23-29

Screen shot 2014-06-29 at 2.44.06 PM

Monday: Sproing Sports workout, then Divvy home (4.3mi)

Tuesday: AM – CES Marathon Training workout – we did a Caterpillar Run (formerly known by it’s less PC name, Indian Run) – run in a straight line and the person in back sprints to the front, whoever is in front sets the pace. We had the back person run up every 4 minutes. My group did 4.8mi in 45min.
PM – Divvy home (2.3mi), Yoga in my building.

Wednesday: Sports Massage. Still good-painful, but not as much pain as last time. I think. I took a Divvy to Athletico (0.75mi), and walked home (1.5mi).

Thursday: Rest. Didn’t want to push too hard post-massage, plus I had dinner plans.

Friday: Rest. Rooftop for the Cubs game with work. Then took my husband’s sister (mom to two little ones) out on the town.

Saturday: Late night = didn’t make it to my 6:30am CES group run. I tried to do my long run on the treadmill in the afternoon. Needed 8, but could only get through 5. I don’t think my knee likes the treadmill. I did go for a two mile walk later that day though.

Sunday: CrossTown Fitness Total Body class with Anne and Erin.

Total Running Miles: 10
Total Bike Miles: 10
Total Walk Miles: 4

20140629-152033.jpg

20140629-152045.jpg

Screen shot 2014-06-29 at 3.37.49 PM

20140629-152109.jpg

Notes:

• I missed the Chicago Running Bloggers Sproing class when I was dealing with my Emo Knee, but they offer your first class free! It’s a great cross-training HIIT workout!
  • I feel like a bum for taking three days basically off, and cutting my long run short. Oh well. Try harder next week.
  • I got my Bike Share bag from the Po Campo Kickstarter, and I love it!! I plan to do a review later. Because I’ve been telling everyone (OK, my husband, Anne and Erin) about it. But it’s making Divvying even better.
  • 4 weeks to Revolt Against Cancer! Beer, good company, raffles, and we’re planning a bake sale! You know you want to join us. And bring your friends.

• 29 June, 2014 - 8:01 pm | Permalink

I was just reading about “caterpillar” rides for cycling and thinking it would be fun to do that as a running drill! :)

• 30 June, 2014 - 11:56 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh. We did Indian/Caterpillar Runs in middle school cross country, and I haaaaaaaated them. Despised them. Loathed them. Granted, I didn’t enjoy, well, pretty much anything, related to cross country, other than being done with races, but those runs were far and away my least favorite. Pretty sure if someone told me I was going to have to do those for marathon training, I’d quit right then and there. Haha.

• 30 June, 2014 - 12:12 pm | Permalink

I think we used to do them during soccer practice, at least at the beginning of the season when we were conditioning. I loved how much we complained about running, when during soccer games, you just run around the whole time. But at least there was a ball involved.

• 30 June, 2014 - 12:05 pm | Permalink

I love the caterpillar run we do with CES! So glad you were there!

• 30 June, 2014 - 12:14 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed the run! At first I thought we would be continually running sprints, but I liked the way we did it too, since I was the slowest one in my group. It felt more like a tempo run for me. Which I love.

• 30 June, 2014 - 12:16 pm | Permalink

When I was in grade school, we used to do caterpillar runs in gym class. They are QUITE a workout!

Where do you get your sports massages? Even though I am terrified of how much it will probably hurt, I could use one for my left piriformis and hamstring. Recommendations, please!

Oooh, a Cubs rooftop outing, eh? Those are a blast!!!

• 30 June, 2014 - 12:42 pm | Permalink

I’ve been seeing Brianne at Athletico in the West Loop.

• 1 July, 2014 - 11:09 am | Permalink

I was signed up for a Sproing class last weekend…but…the wine. Oops. I need to give it a shot because I feel like it’s a great workout, but easy on the joints!

• 1 July, 2014 - 11:42 am | Permalink

Worth it. The wine, that is! The class was gentle but I was sore the next day from all the squats we did.